Summertime is already sizzlin’ in the Carolinas and 4th of July is just around the corner.
We know many of your residents are planning to celebrate with fireworks, and we encourage you to communicate a few safety tips to everyone in your neighborhood.
Fireworks pose a very real danger. Thousands are injured every year, and even deaths have occurred, meanwhile, sparks from fireworks start almost 20,000 fires annually.
What’s the law?
You may find it useful to share with your residents the laws on purchasing fireworks. This link takes you directly to the state laws on purchasing pyrotechnics. Remember legal does not equal safe.
Top Firework Safety Tips
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks
- Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands
- Never light fireworks indoors
- Only use them away from people, houses and flammable material
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
- Never ignite devices in a container
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
- Soak both spent and unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire
Maintenance Makes a Difference
Before the holiday weekend we also recommend you scout your main areas and stairwells etc to make sure there is no excessive debris or lackluster landscaping. Firework embers can travel in unpredictable patterns – having a clean environment could make the difference between a fun night with fireworks or a fire.
If you need help with maintenance please don’t hesitate to reach out. You can quickly see a lot of what we offer here.